stumbling

stumbling

Sunday, January 19, 2014

My Dreams

I have a dream that IEP meetings will be positive occasions that parents look forward to.  Where professionals say to the parents “Do you have any ideas?”  And then respond frequently by saying “Good idea!  We will incorporate that into the program. “
I have a dream that there will be ongoing and open communication between parents and educators and a parent’s input is always welcome.
I have a dream cameras are on buses and in classrooms so that parents can log on and check in at any time.
I have a dream that every classroom in America will get a seminar on what autism means, what sensory disorder means and what kindness to people with disabilities means.
I have a dream that food will be fresh, healthy, tasty, affordably priced and available in restaurants that are hyperactive- kid friendly.
I have a dream that therapy programs and schools will not reward children with junk food.
I have a dream that GMOs will be banned in this country.
I have a dream that no school, public or private will have Wi-Fi.
I have a dream that organic, family farms will be subsidized and we will find better and healthier ways to grow our food.
I have a dream that the world will know kindness and understanding toward people with neurological disorders
I have a dream that we will all work together to minimize toxic chemicals, fossil fuels, CO2  emissions and use cleaner, more natural ways to harvest out food and our energy.
I have a dream that we will fully research the effects of electromagnetic and wireless radiation and we will adapt our environment to minimize their health effects.
I have a dream that insurance companies will pay for visits to DAN! Doctors.  I dream that liquid vitamins can acquire a kid friendly taste while remaining healthy.
I have a dream that autism experts will be honest about what they don’t know.
I have a dream that the diagnostics for finding biological causes for autism will advance until blood tests give us very precise answers.
I have a dream that we can test so that we know if diets and treatments for autism will work before we implement them.
I have a dream that autistic kids will be welcome anywhere kids are welcome.
I have a dream that people with autism will have full medical coverage, all treatments for autism will be covered and that no family will have to forgo treatments because of money.
I have a dream that adults with autism will have options for their lives where they can contribute to their communities and have a good quality of life.
And ultimately, I dream that there will be a cure for autism.  I know that I will be harshly criticized for this, but let me qualify it by saying I have a dream that there will be a cure for those that may never live independently or develop relationships with people outside of family and therapists without a cure.  I also dream that people who live healthy, productive lives never be urged nor encouraged to pursue such a cure.  I dream that those people will be valued and accepted as they are.

Yes, I like to dream.  I often remind myself that we are getting better. I can’t imagine what it was like to be an autism mom/dad a generation ago.    We’ll keep working toward the dream and live life one day at a time in our imperfect world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment