stumbling

stumbling

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Autism Drama


Autism Drama

Steven is giving me some respite by taking Naomi out for a while.  I told myself I’d get some vacuuming done, but I head straight to the internet and I start reading another autism mom’s blog.  It’s about a parent- teacher conference.  It’s a stark reminder that I’ve got to get started on that IEP.  Now that I blew up at Naomi’s supervisor, I’ve got to do the part that I fought so hard to get.  Oh, I’ll just check my email.  It won’t take long.  I just thought of a topic for another blog post!  Let’s see if Autism Daddy answered my question.

After a week away with no access to the internet I thought I had broken my internet addiction.  I didn’t even miss it.  But as soon as I got home I fell right back into it.  It’s a relatively harmless addiction – similar to the one I have to chocolate.  With the time and perspective that I gained from the break coming home to the internet raised my awareness of something.  Most of this is not giving me useful information.  Most of this is not helping me be a better parent.  Most of this is autism drama.  It’s a guilty pleasure like a soap opera.  I think I used to fool myself into thinking otherwise.   But it’s gone beyond the drama.  As I look at the cyber autism world it appears that things are getting nastier.  There’s relatively little respect for the opinions of others.  It’s good to express different ideas with those you don’t agree with, but it’s gone way beyond that.   It’s getting vitriolic.  There’s mocking and degrading and humiliating attempts of other people who simply have a different opinion.  There’s name-calling and cries of being ‘dangerous’, ‘irresponsible’ and ‘spreading disinformation’.  Because, you know, anything that doesn’t perfectly reflect my experience is likely to be dangerous.  And there are many bloggers on the defensive.  For good reason, I may add.  I would be too.

So all of this brought me to another thing that I know but I have been ignoring.  I’m afraid of the reaction I may get when I write.   I’ve written a number of pieces that I haven’t posted because I’m nervous about the response.   I don’t want to be skewered over the fire and brimstone of the internet.  When I started this blog I thought being anonymous would protect me from any nastiness.  Nope.  People can still be mean, even if I they don’t know my real name.  Nasty comments come with the territory of  being a blogger.  It happens to everyone and it will sooner or later happen to me.  Unfortunately, the internet has made it possible for hateful commentaries to be an international pastime.   But there is also something positive happening.  Part of the autism community is fighting back against the haters. They are saying “Come as you are! Everyone is Welcome!”  “No Bashing” and Just leave self –righteous nastiness at the door.  I’m inspired by this group.  So, I’ve got to put my big girl pants on and start posting my truth.  So here it goes.  You have been warned….. I may write something you don’t like! If you don’t like my posts please just don’t follow me.   I am open to other viewpoints, but let’s keep things civil.  Thanks to The World Through His Eyes (ADHD/ASD) for the photo
.

No comments:

Post a Comment