stumbling

stumbling

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I've Been Thrown Out of Better Places than THIS!


So I hit a new low.  I was thrown out of a Taco Bell.  Yes, I've been thrown out of better places.  It had nothing to do with Naomi nor autism. (Well, sort of, but only very indirectly.) I guess it serves me right for eating at Taco Bell.  Maybe I should have let this go, but I just couldn't.  The letter should speak for itself. 

Taco Bell

1 Glen Bell Way,

Irvine, CA 92618


Dear Taco Bell,

I had an unpleasant experience at the XXXX, Taco Bell tonight.   I thought you may be interested in what happened.

While my daughter was attending a special needs recreation event, I went to find a place to eat and pass some time until I had to pick her up.  I went to Taco Bell and got a soft chicken taco and a drink.  After I had eaten, (but had not yet finished my drink) I did what I often do in waiting rooms, fast food restaurants and other public areas when I have free time.  I made some nutritional supplements for my daughter.  You see, because of her condition, it has been recommended that she take several nutritional supplements.  Unfortunately, she cannot swallow large capsules, so I have to split them up and put them in smaller capsules.   This can be very time consuming so I carry around the necessary parts in my purse ready to assemble them when time opens up.

Soon after I started a staff member came and told me I couldn’t continue to do what I was doing.  I can’t remember exactly how she phrased it, but she conveyed that it would be disturbing to other customers.  I didn’t want to create a fuss, so I cleaned up after myself and left.  However, I don’t understand how silently assembling some small nutritional supplements was going to be upsetting to other customers.  There were plenty of seats and tables available, I had been there for less than a half hour, I didn’t make any kind of mess and I was bothering no one.   I have witnessed people spending extended periods of time talking on cell phones, working on laptop computers, reading newspapers or just hanging out with friends well after their meals were finished at Taco Bell and I have never seen those people told that their activity is inappropriate.  Many Taco Bell restaurants even have Wi-Fi available so evidently it’s acceptable to take part in surfing the web after you’re finished eating.   Why was assembling small nutritional supplements so unacceptable?

I have frequently done this at Chick-Fil-A and McDonald’s and I have never had a problem.  One time a McDoanld’s staff member asked me what I was doing and when I explained, we had a quick conversation about a special needs person in his family and he bid me a good day.    I guess I learned tonight where I am welcome and where I am not.  I will not be going to Taco Bell again and I am going to tell this story to anyone that will listen.

Sincerely,

Shanti

No comments:

Post a Comment