stumbling

stumbling

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Playground


“Naomi, no touching.” 

“Naomi, get to the back of the line.”

“Naomi, don’t smell her.”

“Naomi, be gentle.”

“Naomi, that’s not yours. Put it back.”

This is what I sound like at the playground.  Ever jealous of the moms that get to bring a book or connect with their adult friends during playground time, I am consistently shadowing Naomi  and nagging at her. “No, stop it, don’t do that, wait your turn,” are the phrases that are endlessly coming out of my mouth.  I hate it.  Naomi hates it.  But I haven’t figured out an acceptable alternative. 

I could just let her go ahead and touch, smell and pick up anything that looks interesting, but that is sure to spell trouble.  Kids end up saying something mean and/or sniggering to one another.  If other moms and dads are around even they can get preachy. I’ve also seen her get pushed and hit.  I try to give her as much space as I can, but I also make sure to ward off the conflict and I correct her behavior when I see fit.  I’m trying to send the signal to everyone else there.  ‘Yes, I know what is going on; I’m handling this. You just carry on.’

Unfortunately, having her mom following her around and correct her makes Naomi a bit of a target on the playground.  When they hear me constantly saying “Naomi, Naomi, Naomi,” they decide that she is a kid that needs to be bossed around and willingly join in.   

“Naomi, stop following me!”

“Naomi, move!”

“Naomi, don’t do that.”

Sometimes, they seem to think I’m their ally and I they bring their complaints to me. I tend to disappoint them.

“She won’t give that to me.”  - Well dear, it’s hers and she doesn’t have to give it to you.

“She’s following me!”  -  It’s a public place and she can go wherever she likes.

“Can you get her to stop doing that?”  No, I can’t and even if I could, I wouldn’t.

Inevitably, the questions come.  “Why is she doing that?” / “What’s wrong with her?” / “Why doesn’t she talk?” I wish I had a good answer.  I wish I had a 30 second definition for autism that a 6 year old could understand.  I wish I knew away to help them take it in so their reaction toward her were kind and helpful.  Of course, there’s also a deep dark part of me that would find tremendous satisfaction in answering with “None of your f%cking business!” But I know that is wrong.

So, park visits are tough.  They get Naomi the outside recreation that she needs and I want her to have. They have also resulted in her having great proficiency at monkey bars.  Unfortunately, the playground hasn’t given her a lot of social success. The playground is one of the most intense reminders that the children’s social world really is a jungle.

2 comments:

  1. I found you when you commented after me on Autism's Gadfly. You got a new follower out of the deal. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! I'm already a follower of your blog and I love your writing! Thanks for checking us out!

    ReplyDelete